All these new trends that are cropping up today really aren’t so new after all. If you think somebody on TikTok or Instagram has invented an insane natural cleaning hack, you can guarantee that this hack actually existed 100 years ago.
In the early years of last century, people didn’t have access to the hoards of commercial products we have today. That meant they had to go back to basics, using easily-accessible materials found in their own kitchen cupboards. Oftentimes, the hacks they used were so effective that they were better than any commercial solution we could use for the same purpose today.
While we’re lucky to have seen important advances in technology in recent years, there’s plenty that hasn’t changed. We face very similar problems to those that our ancestors faced – whether that’s dealing with an ankle sprain, an accidental glass-smash, or impossibly muddy clothes. So you can guarantee that these life hacks from 100 years ago are still very relevant to us today, even after so much time has passed.
1. Take care of a sprain at home.
2. Pull out a nasty splinter with this handy-dandy trick.
3. Keep your furniture shining with this DIY furniture polish.
4. Separate drinking glasses with some science.
5. Get ink out of clothing and fabric with milk.
6. Keep your glasses from steaming up with a simple daily routine.
7. Keep yourself safe when cleaning up broken glass.
8. Pull out stubborn nails stuck in the wall.
9. Smokers and campers everywhere can rejoice.
10. Get salt stains off your boots.
11. Get eyelashes out of your eye the old-fashioned way.
12. Get some nice thin slices of toast.
13. Get perfect potatoes every time.
14. Revitalize your faded flowers with almost no effort.
15. Make your candle the perfect size for any holder.
16. Don’t throw away cracked eggs.
17. Keep the strain off your wrist when carrying a full pitcher.
18. Clean all that residue out of bottles.
19. Use a safety pin if you don’t have a needle.
20. We’ve all needed this trick ever since rings were invented.
21. Get wine cool in no time at all.
22. Prop pot lids open with a clothespin and a tack.
23. Plug an annoying rattling door with corks.
24. Keep colors from running with saltwater.
25. Light a fire without using wood.
26. Get mud stains out of clothes with raw potatoes.
27. Fit corks to tight bottles.
28. Get rid of your excess, ahem, phlegm.
29. Keep nuts and bolts extra secure.
30. Ditch the weather app for some good old-fashioned prediction.
31. Keep top-heavy objects from toppling.
32. Make a DIY foot bandage for minor accidents.
33. Use a pillowcase to remove dust from the ceiling fan.
34. Banish weeds with boiling water.
35. Get your jewelry shining with seltzer.
36. Fun party trick
37. Make a DIY chicken water fountain