How To

7 Cleaning Snafus That Are Downright Dangerous

December 28th, 2018

As a homeowner you know the importance of keeping a clean home. Not only does it make it appear more appealing, but cleaning also helps to get rid of dirt and germs, keeping away sickness. And while cleaning is important, it carries its own risks if not performed properly.

Here are some cleaning mistakes that do more harm than good.

Neglecting to Clean the Lint Trap

swiggle1 dot pattern2
Safe Bee Source: Safe Bee

About a third of the 3,000 dryer fires that occur each year are caused by lint build-up/To prevent your dryer from overheating, clean your dryer’s lint trap after every other load. In addition, make sure to vacuum out the dryer hose and around the lint trap at least once a year, or sooner if necessary.

Failing to Clean Up Properly After Cutting Raw Meat

swiggle1 dot pattern2
Food Authority Source: Food Authority

Handling raw meat in and of itself is not dangerous. Usually, you can disinfect the area where you handled the meat and wash your hands to prevent contamination. It’s when you neglect cleaning after handling raw meat that sickness caused by salmonella and other food-borne bacteria can cause problems.

Cleaning Your Oven Using the Self-Cleaning Feature

swiggle1 dot pattern2
American Home Shield Source: American Home Shield

While you would think it would be safe to use the self-cleaning function of your oven, think again. If you have an oven lined with Teflon, using the self-cleaning feature on your oven could actually heat the surface to the point that the Teflon will produce harmful fumes.

Luckily, you can use ammonia and some boiling water to clean your oven overnight. Check out Lifehacker for more on this easy oven-cleaning trick.

Failing to Clean Your Refrigerator

swiggle1 dot pattern2
Somewhat Simple Source: Somewhat Simple

One appliance that might slip through the cracks when cleaning is the refrigerator. Go through your fridge at least once a week to remove any food that has gone bad. This helps to prevent your kids or spouse from eating the bad food and getting sick. As the old saying goes, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”

Breathing in Fumes

swiggle1 dot pattern2
Higgypop Source: Higgypop

A common mistake when cleaning is to not properly protect yourself from the fumes from the chemicals you are using for cleaning. To prevent inhalation of dangerous chemicals, wear a respirator mask. Another option is to use natural cleaning alternatives, such as a mixture of white vinegar and water.

Failing to Clean Your Washing Machine

swiggle1 dot pattern2
DIY Natural Source: DIY Natural

If you notice your clothing smelling after you wash it, it might be time to clean your washing machine. Mildew can build up in the crevices of your machine. All you need is a little vinegar. For more on cleaning both top- and front-loading washers check out Clean Mama.

Mixing Ammonia With Bleach

swiggle1 dot pattern2
The Blog of Bad Source: The Blog of Bad

A common mistake made by newbie’s to the cleaning game is to mix ammonia and bleach, which is a definite no-no. Combining bleach and ammonia leads to the formation of chloramine gas, which can cause breathing issues at best and death in worst case scenarios

Additional Cleaning Safety Tips

Please SHARE this with your friends and family.

swiggle1 dot pattern2
KevinMD Source: KevinMD

In addition to the cleaning mistakes above you should keep a few other cleaning safety tips in mind. First off, make sure to wear gloves and wash your hands after cleaning. Also, make sure to read the labels of any cleaning products you use. Finally, keep in mind that natural products can be just as dangerous as commercial products if not used properly.

Source: One Good Thing by Jillee

Advertisement