Thrift stores: we all know and love them. Whether they’re tiny, hole-in-the-wall antique shops where you can find unexpected treasures or bigger secondhand chains, these stores are gold mines of quality items for a fraction of the retail price.
Guess what else is great about thrifting? It’s better for the planet. Many clothing companies use unethical practices to make their clothing and speak nothing about the huge textile wastes that end up in landfills.
Don’t think that buying secondhand means lower quality, either. Sure, that might apply to some items but people everywhere have found amazing things never taken out of the box. These items range from jewelry to electronics to wedding dresses worth thousands of dollars. Let’s face it: there are few downsides to shopping in thrift stores.
As it turns out, there’s a knack to it. Thrift store inventory, policies, and deals vary significantly from store to store, even when shopping at a chain location. Luckily, the thrifty people of the internet are here to give their best tips, tricks, and hacks to help you not only find the best items at your local thrift store but also score the best deals.
1. Choose small towns over big ones.
2. Hit the store up in the middle of the week.
3. Learn about thrift store chain specialties.
4. Ask employees what day they restock.
5. Save 5 percent by getting Goodwill gift cards on Raise.com.
6. Don’t let nostalgia cloud your judgment.
7. Remember that vintage clothing runs small.
8. You can shop thrift online.
9. Shop off-season.
10. Look for junk that you can repurpose.
11. Go a few times a week.
12. Limit yourself to 45 minutes per store.
13. Dress to shop.
14. The rule of thumb – it takes three weeks for items to go on sale.
15. Hit the store the day after it marks down items.
16. Learn how to spot quality items.
17. Learn how to haggle.
18. Create a Pinterest thrifting board.
19. Always test electronics.
20. Make friends with employees.
21. Aim to save 80 percent or more off the retail price.
22. Look for seasonal coupons.
23. Donate and you could get a coupon.
24. Keep an eye on furniture and kids’ clothes.
25. Don’t even think about swimsuits or underwear.
26. Download the Goodwill app.
27. You can return your purchase within seven days for store credit.
28. You can stack discounts and coupons.
29. You can sign up for email alerts with some stores.
30. Look for brand new items.
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.